A "uses" page is a place to share information showcasing developer setups, equipment, software, and configurations. After checking out some cool setups on Wes Bos' uses.tech site, I was inspired to create a "uses" page of my own and provide a glimpse into my developer toolbox.
This blog post will be a snapshot in time of what I use. To view a continually updated list, reference my official "uses" page at alyssaholland.com/uses.
Note: A small subset of the links provided are affiliate links.
IDE's and Editors 👩🏽💻
- Webstorm - My primary editor for work or more complex projects
- Brackets - Simple text editor for viewing individual files.
Terminal and CLI Tools 🛠️
- Cobalt2 theme by Wes Bos - Terminal theme of choice
- Oh My Zsh - a framework for managing zsh configurations.
- zsh-syntax-highlighting- Adds syntax highlighting when typing terminal commands
- bat - A much better
catwith syntax highlighting
- git-delta - A better
- Homebrew 🍺 - The Missing Package Manager for macOS
- Fig - Autocomplete for the command line
- Mailbrew ☕ - Personal content digest. Helps reduce FOMO and keeps me up-to-date on the latest and greatest.
- Plausible 📊 - Simple and privacy-friendly Google Analytics alternative
- Spotify Premium 🎵 - So I can listen to my sweet tunes, uninterrupted.
- Basin - Form backend service that makes wiring up forms on the front-end a breeze.
Home Office 🏡
- LG 38-inch UltraWide Curved WQHD Monitor 🖥 - The original model I bought seems to be discontinued so the link provided is to a similar model.
- Uplift L-shaped Standing Desk (Bamboo top)
- Das Model S Mechanical Keyboard ⌨️
- Laptop Stand
- Logitech M720 Triathlon Mouse
- CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock
- Apple AirPods
- Bose QuietComfort 35 🎧 - Noise Cancelling, Over-ear Headphones
- Remarkable 2 - E-ink tablet that feels like writing on paper. I store all my handwritten notes here and love the tactile nature of it.
Productivity Tools ✔️
- Alfred 🎩
- Session - Pomodoro Focus Timer
- Things 3 - My task manager of choice ✅
- Pandan - Time awareness in your menubar ⏳
Desktop Apps 🖥️
- Flycut - Clipboard manager
- Itsycal 📆 - Tiny menu bar calendar
- Typora - A minimal Markdown editor and reader.
- Rocket 🚀 - Emoji picker with Slack-style shortcuts
- Spark 📧 - Email client
- Zappy - For recoding gifs and screenshots
- Eagle - A way to collect, search and organize design files all in one place.
- PixelSnap 2 - I use this tool when implementing designs for pixel-perfect accuracy.
- Magnet - Move and resize windows on macOS with keyboard shortcuts.
- I use Rectangle, an open-source alternative, on my work computer.
Browser Extensions 🌐
- Momentum - Daily inspirational photo and quote
- Workona Tab Manager - Helps me wrangle the copious amounts of tabs I inevitably have open.
- JSON Formatter
- Save to Pocket - "Read it later" tool
- Atom File Icons Web
- axe DevTools - Web Accessibility Testing
- Adblock Plus
- Eagle for Chrome
- Material DevTools Theme Collection
- Notion Web Clipper
- React Developer Tools
- Wappalyzer - Technology profiler that shows you what websites are built with.
El Fin 👋🏽
If you use some of the same items on this list or want to share your own "uses" page, feel free to leave a comment and let me know.
As always, thank you for reading, and happy coding!